Alumni Hall of Fame Profile Archive

The CUAA dedicated its Alumni Hall of Fame on April 17, 2009 to commemorate the 150th Anniversary of The Cooper Union, celebrate founder Peter Cooper’s 218th birthday, and recognize achievements of outstanding alumni in the fields of art, architecture and engineering.

The Alumni Hall of Fame includes all alumni who have received the Augustus Saint-Gaudens, John Q. Hejduk and Gano Dunn awards, the President’s Citation, and alumni who have been recognized as Urban Visionaries. Additionally, the deans of each school selected distinguished alumni who, because they were deceased before the awards were created, are included among the over 265 distinguished individuals in the Alumni Hall of Fame.

Click here to view the list of all members of the Alumni Hall of Fame

Featured members:

Stan Allen (AR'81)

Bio: Stan Allen (AR'81) is an architect working in New York and Dean of the School of Architecture at Princeton University. 
After graduation from The Cooper Union in 1981, he worked for Richard Meier in New York and Rafael Moneo in Madrid. Since that time, he has pursued parallel careers as educator, writer and architect. He has taught at Harvard, Columbia and Princeton, and his architectural firm SAA/Stan Allen Architect has realized buildings and urban projects in the United States, South America and Asia. Responding to the complexity of the modern city in creative ways, Stan Allen has developed an extensive catalog of innovative design strategies, in particular looking at field theory, landscape architecture and ecology as models to revitalize the practices of urban design. 
In 2008, Allen received a Progressive Architecture Award for the Taichung Gateway Park, and a Faith and Form Award for the CCV Chapel; in 2009, he received a Progressive Architecture Award for the Yan-Ping Waterfront in Taipei, an AIA Award for the CCV Chapel and an Architecture Award from the American Academy of Arts and Letters. His architectural work was published in Points + Lines: Diagrams and Projects for the City, and his essays in Practice: Architecture, Technique and Representation. 
Stan Allen received the 2002 President's Citation and the 2009 John Q. Hejduk Award.

Chris Benedict (AR'86)

Bio: Chris Benedict (AR'86) is Principle of Chris Benedict, R.A., a New York City firm that specializes in healthy, durable and energy efficient buildings. Her work, in collaboration with Henry Gifford, mechanical system designer, includes new construction apartment buildings, substantial gut rehabilitations of large and small existing buildings, single family homes, commercial spaces, artist lofts, offices and industrial spaces. Her first high performance apartment buildings, the substantial gut rehabilitation of 18 small multifamily buildings in Brooklyn, was completed in 1998. In 1999, she was named Energy Professional of the Year by the International Association of Energy Engineers. Benedict's designs for one 38-apartment, and three 22-apartment new construction projects on the Lower East Side use 15% of the energy of typical New York City apartment buildings at no additional construction cost. Her buildings rethink infrastructure and feature innovation and invention. By demonstrating that high performance buildings can be delightful and affordable, Benedict has influenced building design, building codes and architectural education in New York City.
Chris Benedict received the 2005 President's Citation.

Emile Berliner (Eng 1900)

Bio: Emile Berliner (Eng 1900) is the inventor of the microphone and disc record player, which replaced Edison's more expensive and delicate cylinder player and advanced the place of the record industry in home entertainment.
A native of Germany, Berliner immigrated to New York when he was nineteen and studied sound and electricity at The Cooper Union. After inventing the microphone in 1877, which featured an improved voice, he became chief inspector at Bell Telephone. In 1887, Berliner patented his gramophone, which became the industry standard when collaborator Eldridge R. Johnson founded Radio Corporation of America, or RCA.
He later patented an airplane engine and acoustic tiles for soundproofing, and worked on the cause of pasteurization of milk to improve the health of infants and children.

Don Blauweiss (A'61)

Bio: Don Blauweiss (A'61) is a communications professional who specializes in branding and identity through strategic marketing and graphics.
Before graduating Cooper he began his career at Doyle Dane Bernbach (DDB) as art director under the mentorship of the legendary Bill Bernbach. 
Blauweiss moved on to senior creative positions at other agencies, domestic and international, including DDB Dusseldorf, Ogilvy & Mather Sao Paulo and Benton & Bowles Brussels, developing and supervising marketing communications for clients such as Volkswagen, Polaroid, Mercedes-Benz, Proctor & Gamble, General Foods and Johnson & Johnson. He rejoined DDB in 1983 as a Senior Vice President/Creative Director and worldwide trouble-shooter. Later he moved on to Saatchi & Saatchi as Senior Vice President/Creative Director. In 1987, Blauweiss launched his own marketing and design firm, Don Blauweiss Advertising & Design (DBA&D). The firm helps companies promote their products, services or corporate image through all forms of marketing communications. In June of 2011 DDB invited the creators of the “Revolution in Advertising,” the art directors and copywriters from the 1960s, for a reunion. This resulted in a new additional business for Don and Sid Myers, another Cooper Alum (A '53), as well as two other DDB creatives. They formed a creative consultancy ( www.seniorcreativepeople.com) the focus of which is marketing to seniors by seniors. Blauweiss taught for 25 years at Pratt, The Cooper Union and Parsons starting in the early 1960s. He served as President of the Cooper Union Alumni Association from 1983 to 1985. He was elected to serve as an Alumni Trustee on the Cooper Union Board of Trustees in 2008. 
Don Blauweiss received the 1985 President's Citation.

Kenneth Bridbord (ChE'64)

Bio: Kenneth Bridbord (ChE'64) is widely recognized for his contributions to disease prevention and global health. For the past 28 of his 40 year career in the U.S. Government, Dr. Bridbord has worked for the Fogarty International Center (FIC), part of NIH.
In 2002, the AAAS honored him with the Award for International Scientific Cooperation for his tireless efforts combating HIV/AIDS in developing countries. As Director of FIC's Division of International Training and Research, Dr. Bridbord has focused on training scientists in developing countries to address the AIDS epidemic through biomedical research. More recently, the work of his Division has expanded to address the growing epidemic of chronic non-communicable diseases in low- and middle-income countries, including cardiovascular disease, cancer, and mental health.
Under his leadership, FIC has trained over 2,000 scientists from 100 nations and has sponsored courses benefiting an estimated 50,000 health scientists around the world. Dr. Bridbord has worked for the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH), part of CDC, and for the EPA, where he is known for his role in promulgating the initial Federal health-based regulation to remove lead from gasoline. He was honored for this work with a Silver Medal from the EPA in 1975. At NIOSH, Dr. Bridbord is known for his work on occupational carcinogens including asbestos and workplace lead exposure. In 2007, Dr. Bridbord received the NIH World AIDS Day Award and in 2009 he received a Distinguished Service Award from the University of Chicago, where he received his MD degree.
Kenneth Bridbord received the 2005 Gano Dunn Award.

Maurice Cox (AR'83)

Bio: Maurice Cox (AR'83) is an educator and architect known for his groundbreaking use of design as a catalyst for social change in urban and rural communities.  Upon graduating from The Cooper Union, Cox taught for six years at Syracuse University's Italian Program in Florence, while working in partnership with architect Giovanna Galfione.  Their practice won numerous national competitions and public building commissions for the city of Florence in association with renowned architect Aldo Rossi.  He returned to the United States in 1993 to teach at the University of Virginia's School of Architecture, where he is Associate Professor of Architecture. 
In 1996, Cox was elected to the City Council of Charlottesville, Virginia, and in 2002 he became Mayor.  He co-founded the Charlottesville architectural practice RBGC Architecture Research and Urbanism (1996-2006), which focused on serving clients in communities underserved by the design professions.  Cox is the 2004-2005 recipient of the Loeb Fellowship at Harvard's Graduate School of Design.  In 2007, Cox was appointed the National Endowment for the Arts' Director of Design.  In this position, he supervises the grant-making process in design and provides professional leadership to the field and national political leaders. 
Maurice Cox received the 2004 President's Citation and the 2006 John Q. Hejduk Award.

C. Raymond Dahl (ME'43)

Bio: C. Raymond Dahl (ME’43) received the 1975 President's Citation and the 1981 Gano Dunn Award. He received his MBA from Stanford University in 1947, and joined the paper manufacturer Crown Zellerbach in 1950 as an industrial engineer. He was named Chief Executive Officer in 1970, and played a pivotal role in stabilizing the company during the 1970s. Dahl retired from Crown Zellerbach in 1981, and the company was acquired by James River Corporation in 1987. The Montgomery Street Foundation, formerly the Crown Zellerbach Foundation, became a separate entity after the acquisition, and Dahl continued to serve as Director after his retirement. Under his guidance, the Foundation contributed generously and often to The Cooper Union from 1966 until it dissolved in 2001. Dahl served as director of Bank of America Corporation, Pharmacia Corporation, Monsanto Chemical Group, American Paper Institute, the California Chamber of Commerce and the California Roundtable. He also served on the Board of Trustees of the San Francisco Bay Council, the Federal Reserve Board in San Francisco and the Conference Club, and was an active member of the Northern California Industry-Education Council and the Forest Industries Committee on Timber Valuation and Taxation. 

William Dubilier (Eng 1909)

Bio: William Dubilier, Engineering 1909, was an inventor and radio pioneer who held over 600 patents.  A New York native, Dubilier worked as an assistant to radiotelegraph developer Guglielmo Marconi before studying at Cooper Union.  He applied for his first patent at age 18 and, at 21, built a radio broadcasting system to transmit messages from Seattle to Alaska.  His design of the Micadon, a condenser used in wireless communication that was smaller, more economical, and lighter than the previously used Leyden jars, was significant in World War I.  Dubilier also developed wireless communications systems for British and American air fleets and submarine detection devices for the French and British during World War I. 

Dubilier was a Chevalier of the French Legion of Honor and a fellow of the American Institute of Electrical Engineers and the Institute of Radio Engineers.  He was the recipient of the first Gano Dunn award in 1955 and the President's Citation in 1966.  


Thomas Edison (Eng 1870s)

Bio: Thomas Alva Edison (Eng 1870s), one of the most famous inventors in American history, holds over 1,000 patents for inventions such as the incandescent electric lamp, the phonograph and the motion-picture projector.  As a young boy selling concessions and newspapers on the railroad, he observed and learned the functioning of the telegraph.  Later, working as an apprentice telegraph operator, he would make numerous improvements on the telegraph including the creation of a printer that converted electrical symbols into letters.
Soon he set up a studio in New Jersey where he made some of his most significant discoveries, including a carbon-based conductive system in which an electrical current could be changed according to the amount of pressure it was under.  In 1877 Edison began experiments to apply the same pressure system to improve the Alexander Graham Bell telephone.  Invention of the phonograph, electrical lighting and the first movie projector are some of Edison's most significant achievements.  Edison, more than any other inventor, laid the groundwork for a world run on electricity.

Max Fleischer (A'1900)

Bio: Max Fleischer (A'1900) was an innovator in the early days of the cartoon industry. In 1917, Fleischer was granted a patent for the Rotoscope, a mechanism used for transferring live action film into animated cartoons through tracing. He and his brother Dave were the first to synchronize their cartoons to the music of cinematic orchestral arrangements.  His cartoon "Song Car-Tune," produced in 1924, was the first cartoon with a soundtrack.  In 1930, Fleischer introduced the first female cartoon star: Betty Boop. In 1933, he adapted a character from E. C. Segar’s Thimble Theater comic strip andBetty Boop Presents Popeye the Sailor had its debut.  The Fleischers premiered the first Superman short in 1941. Max Fleischer went on to direct feature films, including 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea,Dr. Doolittle and The Jazz Singer. He later worked as Production Chief of Cartooning for Paramount Pictures until he retired in the 1960s. 

George Gardner (A'51)

Bio: George Gardner (A'51) received the 1991 Augustus Saint-Gaudens Award. He is a leader in the field of museum exhibition design. Graduating from the Industrial Design program at Cooper, he decided to specialize in architectural interiors and exhibition design. After duty in the U.S. Army, he interned in the office of Charles Eames in Venice, California. He then worked four years as a design coordinator at Walter Dorwin Teague Associates for international exhibitions in Europe and the U.S. In 1960, he co-founded the design firm of Yang/Gardner & Associates, completing government pavilions in Africa and the United States. In 1973, Gardner joined the American Museum of Natural History as Chairman of the Department of Exhibition and Graphics, which resulted in the merging of his science and art interests. He taught a course in exhibition planning at NYU’s graduate school for a decade. He was co-founder and first President of NAME (National Association for Museum Exhibition), with a membership of over 1,800. After eighteen years at the American Museum of Natural History, Gardner retired and moved to the Rocky Mountains. He operates a museum-planning consultancy out of a studio he designed in Whitefish, Montana, serving several new and expanding regional museums. 

Paul Garrin (A'82)

Bio: Paul Garrin (A'82) is a media artist whose work explores the social impact of technology and issues of media access, free speech and public/private space. He began studying video while at The Cooper Union, collaborated with video art legend Nam June Paik from 1982 to 1996, and, since 1989, has worked with interactive media.  Garrin's work has been exhibited and broadcast internationally, including the Lyon Biennale, the Kwangiu Biennale, the São Paulo Biennale, Galleri Faurschou, Copenhagen and others.  Garrin was Artist in Residence at the Berlin Videofest in 1990, and has received numerous awards for excellence, including the Prix Ars Electronica in 1997; ZKM Karlsruhe Medienkunstpreis in 1992; New York Foundation for the Arts Fellowship in 1988; and New York State Council on the Arts Media Grant in 1990.  In 1996, Garrin founded NAME.SPACE and was the first to create hundreds of new Internet Top Level Domains (TLDs) including .NYC, .ART, .MUSIC, .SPACE, .SUCKS and .GREEN, pioneering the expansion of the Internet Domain Name System while others opposed it.  NAME.SPACE endeavored to bring its TLDs to market by means of an antitrust case against Network Solutions 1997-2000, and after the formation of ICANN in 1998 through application in 2000 where it was considered in the top 10 "strong candidates" (out of 44 applicants) but delegation was deferred in favor of domain industry incumbents. Garrin's project NAME.SPACE exists today as a social enterprise corporation and continues to seek recognition of its domains as more TLDs come into acceptance on the Internet, and is a participant in the 2012 ICANN gTLD process.
Paul Garrin received the 2001 President's Citation.

Milton Glaser (A'51)

Bio: Milton Glaser (A'51) received the 1966 Augustus Saint-Gaudens Award, the 1966 President's Citation and the 2002 Urban Visionaries Award. He is among the most celebrated graphic designers in the United States. Following graduation from The Cooper Union, he received a Fulbright Scholarship and studied at the Academy of Fine Arts in Bologna, Italy, under Giorgio Morandi. In 1954, he co-founded Push Pin Studios with fellow CU graduates Seymour Chwast (A’51), Reynold Ruffins (A’51) and Simms Taback (A’53). In 1968, he co-founded New York magazine with Clay Felker, serving as President and Design Director until 1977. He established his own design firm, Milton Glaser, Inc., in 1974, and WBMG, a publication design firm with Walter Bernard, in 1983. Glaser designed one of the most recognizable logos in history, "I Heart NY," commissioned by the state of New York in 1976. His work is in the collections of the MoMA, the Israel Museum, the Smithsonian Institute and the Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum.

Carin Goldberg (A'75)

Bio: Carin Goldberg (A'75) is a graphic designer, publication designer and brand consultant. After graduating from The Cooper Union, she worked as a staff designer at CBS Television, CBS Records and Atlantic Records before establishing her firm, Carin Goldberg Design, in 1982. Over the following two decades she designed hundreds of book jackets for every major American publishing house, including Simon & Schuster, Random House, Alfred A. Knopf, Farrar Straus & Giroux, Harper Collins and Doubleday. She has designed dozens of album covers for record labels such as Warner Bros., Motown, Nonesuch, EMI and Sony (formerly CBS) Records. The breadth of her work covers artists as diverse as Kurt Vonnegut and Susan Sontag, Steve Reich and Madonna. Goldberg has been featured in Time, The New Yorker, The New York Times, and Adweek. Among her awards are a Silver Medal from the Art Directors Club, the Literary Marketplace Award and the 2009 American Institute of Graphic Arts (AIGA) Gold Medal. Goldberg's work has appeared in landmark surveys, such as the Graphic Design in America at the Walker Art Center (1989), Mixing Messages at the Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum (1996) and By Its Cover: Modern American Book Cover Design, published by Princeton Architectural Press (2005). 
She has taught at the School of Visual Arts for twenty-seven years. Her works are in the permanent collections of the Bibliothèque Nationale de France in Paris, the Cooper-Hewitt Museum in New York and the Hong Kong Heritage Museum in China. Goldberg served as president of the AIGA New York Chapter from 2006 to 2008. She is one of the first recipients of the Art Directors Club Grandmasters Award for Excellence in Education (2008). A retrospective of her work and career was exhibited at Musée Géo-Charles, Échirolles, France. 
Carin Goldberg received the 2009 President's Citation and the 2012 Augustus Saint-Gaudens Award.

Alexander Gorlin (AR'78)

Bio: Alexander Gorlin (AR’78), FAIA, received the 1998 President’s Citation and the 2008 John Q. Hejduk Award. He is Principal of Alexander Gorlin Architects, established in 1987 after he returned from a Rome Prize Fellowship at the American Academy in Rome. His design portfolio spans all levels of society, from high-end residences to affordable housing, places of worship to educational institutions. The firm has won numerous awards, most notably AIA Design Awards for the House in the Rocky Mountains, Ruskin Place townhouse, and North Shore Hebrew Academy. In 2005, Architectural Digest recognized Gorlin as one of the country's “30 Deans of Design” and has named him four times in its AD100 list of leading designers. He became a Fellow of the American Institute of Architects in 2005. Alexander Gorlin Architects has completed a loft renovation for Daniel Libeskind, 800 affordable homes in East New York, four new public high schools in the Bronx, and The Gorlin at Aqua, a 12-story condo in Miami Beach. Other projects include luxury private residences around the world and LEED-rated supportive housing for the homeless in the Bronx. 

Dimitri Hadzi (A'50)

Bio: Dimitri Hadzi (A'50) was an artist best known for his abstract and semi-abstract monumental sculptures. Born in New York, Hadzi entered The Cooper Union after serving in World War II and received a Fulbright Fellowship the year of his graduation. He used the fellowship to study in Greece, and he lived in Rome for 25 years before returning to the US in the mid-1970s. 
Hadzi received a Guggenheim Foundation Fellowship and represented the United States at the 1956, 1958 and 1962 Venice Biennales. Among the high profile sites of his public commissions are the lobby of Avery Fisher Hall in Lincoln Center and the John F. Kennedy Federal Building in Boston. From 1975 to 1989, Hadzi served as Professor of Visual and Environmental Studies at Harvard University, where he was a Professor Emeritus until 2006. His work was widely exhibited in the United States and abroad and is held in collections at the Museum of Modern Art in New York, the Hammer Museum in Los Angeles and the Hirshhorn Museum in Washington, DC. 
Dimitri Hadzi received the 1976 President's Citation and the 1989 Augustus Saint-Gaudens Award. 

John Q. Hejduk (AR'50)

Bio: John Q. Hejduk (AR’50) received the 1975 Augustus Saint-Gaudens Award and the 1998 Artist of the City Award. An influential architect, he served as Dean of the Irwin S. Chanin School of Architecture for over thirty years. After attending The Cooper Union, he studied architecture at the University of Cincinnati and at Harvard University's Graduate School of Design, earning a master’s degree in 1953. He began teaching the next year as a studio instructor at the University of Texas and returned to New York in 1956, where he worked with I.M. Pei and Partners. In 1964, he began teaching at The Cooper Union. In 1975, the architecture department split from the School of Art and he was appointed Dean. Also that year, he designed the renovations for the landmark Cooper Union Foundation Building. As a professor, Hejduk taught his students to regard architectural forms not as purely abstract shapes or simply as functional environments, but as a means of exploring relationships between public and private space. His often solely theoretical constructions explore complex relationships between inhabitants in a structure and extend the bounds of architecture into psychological realms. 

Eva Hesse (A'57)


Bio:
Eva Hesse (A'57) was a German-born American artist who had a prolific yet brief career.  A postmodernist, she left a considerable body of drawings and over seventy pieces of sculpture.  She is known for the rigor of her mixed media innovations.  Her work has personal, associative quality, a hint of chance and randomness, and a wry humor that softens its minimal characteristics, the serial order and modular repetition intrinsic to her paintings. After The Cooper Union, she continued her studies at Yale University, where she received her Bachelor of Fine Arts in 1959.

Hesse taught at the School of Visual Arts in New York from 1968 to 1969, and at Oberlin College in 1968.  Two years after her death, her sculptures and drawings were shown at the Guggenheim Museum in New York.  Her work is now held in the permanent collections of Oberlin College and the Whitney Museum of Art in New York, among others.
Eva Hesse received the 1984 Augustus Saint-Gaudens Award.


Shigeru Ban, AR '84
 
Shigeru Ban is a brilliant designer of private houses, apartment houses, public buildings, and museum exhibitions, Mr. Ban may be best known for designing cardboard and plastic housing for earthquake victims. Mr. Ban who lives in Tokyo came up with this practical solution for refugee housing after the 1994 earthquake in Kobe, Japan. The following year he established the Volunteer Architects Network, a non-governmental agency of the United Nations. Mr. Ban’s first venture into refugee housing came in response to the 1994 civil strife in Rwanda. Deforestation had depleted the timber needed for building shelters. Working with the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, he designed simple tents of blue plastic sheets, using cardboard tubes to support them. In 1998, fifty emergency shelters designed by Sigeru Ban, were constructed in Rwanda. In 1999, thousands of housing units were shipped to Turkey following their devastating earthquake.

Shigeru Ban responded to the Christmas Tsunami in 2007 by helping in Kirinda, Sri-Lanka. The post-tsunami rehabilitation project includes construction of 67 houses, a mosque, and a tree plantation. He responded to the Sichuan earthquake that occurred in China in May 2008 by designing new school structures that could be assembled by volunteers. Three school buildings (nine classrooms) were completed in about forty days by about 120 volunteers. He responded to an earthquake in 2009 in L’Aquila, Italy by building a temporary concert hall which was completed in 2011. He responded to the devastating 2011 earthquake in Christchurch, New Zealand that destroyed a cathedral. He designing a transitional sanctuary fashioned mainly from cardboard tubes. He responded to another devastating earthquake in 2011 that occurred in his homeland Japan, by building 1800 units of refugee housing. See Story about humanitarian works on ArchDaily

In 2012, he built a 25-foot-tall pavilion out of locally sourced paper tubes for the Moscow's Gorky Park. See story in Archtizer

Shigeru Ban decided he wanted to be an architect after reading an article in a Japanese architecture magazine about John Hejduk; he also knew that he wanted to study architecture under Hejduk. In 1977, he came to the U.S. and studied architecture at the California Institute of the Arts and then at The Cooper Union.

Shigeru Ban is the Principal of Shigeru Ban Architects, www.shigerubanarchitects.com.
With Dean Maltz, AR’84, a Cooper Union classmate, he has designed a set of glass duplex penthouses atop the Cast Iron House, on lower Broadway, and Metal Shutter Houses, a condominium on 19th Street in Chelsea. He also designed Camper’s flagship shoe store on Prince Street, with red-and-white interiors and a vertical garden.See story about his residence: Story in Architizer. Some of these projects include a train station for northern Japan and a paper tube summer home at Lake Yamanaka, outside of Tokyo. In the West, Shigeru Ban is known for the “Curtain Wall House,” a 1995 project followed by the “Wall-less House” (this design is a play on the Wall House, an unbuilt project by John Hejduk).

Shigeru Ban won the Japan Institute of Architecture’s “Best Young Architect of the Year” award in 1998. He received The Cooper Union Augustus St. Gaudens Award in 2000 and Presidential Citation in 2010. He was inducted into the Cooper Union Hall of Fame in 2009, the year that the hall of Fame was created. On March 24, 2014, Shigeru Ban

Russell Hulse (PHY'70)

Bio: Russell Hulse (PHY'70) is Regental Professor and Associate Vice President for Strategic Initiatives at the University of Texas at Dallas. Previously, he had a 30-year career at the Plasma Physics Laboratory at Princeton University. There, in a program operated by Princeton for the US Department of Energy, he created computer models for experiments associated with the quest to develop controlled thermonuclear fusion as an energy source. 
Hulse received his MS and PhD in Physics from the University of Massachusetts at Amherst. As a graduate student in 1974, he discovered the first binary pulsar, using the 1,000-foot radio telescope located near Arecibo, Puerto Rico. Data from the study of this pulsar system has provided the only experimental evidence confirming Einstein's theory predicting the existence of gravitational waves. In 1993, along with his former thesis professor Joseph H. Taylor, Hulse was awarded the Nobel Prize for Physics.
Hulse is a Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science and of the American Physical Society.
Russell Hulse received the 1994 Gano Dunn Award and the 2003 President's Citation. 

Patty Jenkins (A'93)

Bio: Patty Jenkins (A’93) received the 2004 Urban Visionaries Award. Jenkins landed her first job in film at the age of 14 when she worked as an assistant on The River City Reunion, a documentary of a reunion of beat poets and artists initiated by William S. Burroughs and Allen Ginsberg. Years later, while training as a painter at The Cooper Union, she crossed over to filmmaking and graduated with a series of short films. She then worked for six years as a First Assistant Camera person on hundreds of commercials and music videos. In 2000, Jenkins graduated from AFI's Directing program and went on to direct and write the award-winning film Monster. The critically acclaimed Monster earned Charlize Theron the Best Actress Oscar for her unflinching portrayal of Aileen Wuornos, executed in 2002 for killing six men. Monster was named Best First Feature by the 2004 Independent Spirit Awards; was selected as one of the 10 best films of 2003 by American Film Institute and recognized as the “The Best Film of the Year” by critic Roger Ebert. She has since directed several episodes of HBO’s series Entourage and Fox’s hit television series Arrested Development.

Michael Kwartler (AR'65)

Bio: Michael Kwartler, FAIA, (AR'65) received the 2007 John Q. Hejduk Award. He is an architect, planner, urban designer, and educator. He is the founding director of the Environmental Simulation Center, a non-profit research laboratory which develops innovative applications of information technology for community planning, design, and decision-making. Kwartler directed the design and development of the widely used CommunityViz, the first GIS based planning and design decision support software to fully integrate virtual reality with scenario design, impact analysis and policy simulation. His work has focused on urban design and the theory and practice of legislating aesthetics and good city form. Work includes the award winning performance-based NYC Housing Quality Zoning Regulations and Midtown Zoning Regulations which recognize the power of zoning to determine urban form; “Legislating Aesthetics: The Role of Zoning in Designing Cities”; Zoning and the American Dream; “Regulating the good you can’t think of” URBAN DESIGN International; “Just-In-Time Planning: New York + Houston” Architectural Design, Visioning and Visualization (with Gianni Longo). Michael Kwartler studied Architecture and Planning at The Cooper Union and Columbia University respectively. He held the Clarkson Chair at SUNY/Buffalo and was made a Fellow of the American Institute of Architects in 1990. 

Whitfield Lovell (A'81)


Bio
: Whitfield Lovell, Art 1981, is an artist whose drawings and installations invoke the daily lives and personal histories of anonymous African Americans from the period between the Emancipation Proclamation and the Civil Rights movement. His charcoal drawings on vintage wood and found objects illuminate the lives of ordinary people who have not been memorialized, and encourage viewers to reflect on their own heritage.
Since graduating from The Cooper Union in 1981, Lovell has exhibited extensively both in the United States and internationally, and in 2007 he received a MacArthur Foundation fellowship award. His work is in the collections of the Whitney Museum of American Art, the Studio Museum in Harlem, the Smithsonian American Art Museum and the Metropolitan Museum of Art, among many others. He is represented by DC Moore Gallery.
Whitfield Lovell received the 2008 Augustus Saint-Gaudens Award.


Lauren Mallas (AR'68)

Bio: Lauren Mallas (AR'68) is a practicing architect specializing in the study of urban Japanese architecture. 
She began her career in Philadelphia at Mitchell/Giurgola Architects. In 1990, she established Mallasfoote Design in San Francisco with her partner and husband, Fred L. Foote.  Their high-profile California work includes the San Jose Hilton Hotel, the San Jose Convention Center and San Francisco Yerba Buena Gardens. In 2001 she completed a master's degree in Asian Studies at the University of San Francisco, Center for the Pacific Rim. 
Mallas has been a visiting juror and lecturer at Drexel University, Pennsylvania State University, Temple Universit, and the University of California, Berkeley.  She is a 2009 PhD Candidate in Architecture and an instructor in architecture at the University of California, Berkeley.  She also teaches cultural anthropology at the University of San Francisco. The focus of her dissertation research is the multi-use super-block developments of Tokyo that are transforming the urban landscape as it has existed since the mid-nineteenth century. 
Lauren Mallas received the 2000 President's Citation.

Jeanne Moutoussamy-Ashe (A'75)

Bio: Jeanne Moutoussamy-Ashe (A'75) received the 1990 President’s Citation. She is a distinguished photographer, photojournalist, and writer. During her junior year at The Cooper Union she received a fellowship to travel to seven West African countries, photographing the people and customs she observed. The body of work that resulted helped her earn a full time position as a photojournalist at NBC. Her photographic studies have addressed AIDS, the rural community off the coast of South Carolina on Daufuskie Island, South African apartheid, and the urban experience. Moutoussamy-Ashe’s published works include Viewfinders: Black Women Photographers, 1986; Songs of My People, 1992; Reflections In Black: A History of Black Photographers, 1840 to the Present, 2000; and A Day In the Life of the American Woman, 2005 and the 25 anniversary edition of Daufuskie Island: Photographs by Jeanne Moutoussamy-Ashe, which won the 2008 ESSENCE Literary Award for Photography. Her work has been exhibited at The Smithsonian Institute, The Brooklyn Museum of Art, The Whitney Museum of American Art, the African American Museum of Art, and The Museum of Modern Art. She is also the founder of www.ArthurAshe.org and the Arthur Ashe Learning Center, a nonprofit organization. 

John O'Rourke (Eng 1876)

Bio: John O'Rourke, Engineering 1876, was an authority on subway line, bridge and tunnel construction.
He studied mechanical and civil engineering at The Cooper Union, and worked in the office of Charles Guidet, a prominent New York contractor, after graduating. He then began studies in descriptive geometry and mathematics and became familiar with mapping and surveying through his work for Edward Boyle, civil engineer and surveyor. O'Rourke left this position to join the engineering corps of the New York Elevated Railroad. In 1882 he was lead engineer on the development of the Wisconsin Central's St. Croix River Bridge, which was a half-mile long, 115 feet above water level, and on a difficult foundation. He later inspected the steel bridges across the Ohio River, worked on rail lines throughout the Midwest, and served as Chief Engineer of the Poughkeepsie Bridge, one of the biggest bridges of its day. In 1896 the firm Stephens & O'Rourke was established to develop pneumatic caissons for foundations of great depths. O'Rourke developed his most significant engineering feat, shield tunneling, which replaced brick tunnel walls with cast iron, in 1912. This process also used gravel-packing to prevent settlement of streets or buildings.
He was an officer in the Coast Artillery Corp, New York National Guard and president and chief engineer of O'Rourke Engineering Construction Company. Learn more here.

Eleanore Pettersen (AR'41)

Bio: Eleanore Pettersen (AR'41) was a pioneer in the field of architecture. Following graduation, Pettersen apprenticed under legendary architect Frank Lloyd Wright until 1943. In 1950, Pettersen became one of the first women licensed as a practicing architect in the state of New Jersey and, in 1952, she renovated a 200-year-old barn, turning it into a home and office, becoming the first woman in that state to open her own architectural office. 
She was also the first woman appointed to the New Jersey State Board of Architects in 1975, and she served as president of that board for two years. Pettersen primarily designed residences in New Jersey but she was also active in civic and professional organizations like the Altrusa Club of Bergen County and the AIA Board, which elected her New Jersey's first female Regional Director, serving from 1986 until 1989. In 1991 she became a Fellow of the American Institute of Architects.
In 2003, Pettersen's archive was acquired by the International Archive of Women in Architecture. This archive includes the project files, sketches, drawings, blueprints, models, photographs and other materials from the over fifty years that Pettersen was active in the field of architecture. The Cooper Union's Annual Eleanore Pettersen Lecture, established in honor of her significant impact in the world of architecture, features distinguished women in the field of architecture.
Eleanore Pettersen was the first woman to receive a President's Citation in 1965 and she received the 1994 Augustus Saint-Gaudens Award.
 

Alfred Schneider (ChE'51)

Bio: Alfred Schneider (ChE’51) received the 1993 Gano Dunn Award. He has worked as a research engineer, technical manager, consultant and professor of nuclear engineering. He received his doctorate in chemical engineering from the Polytechnic Institute of NYU in 1958. He has received nine patents for inventions in the plastics, recording, photographic, and nuclear fields. After graduating from Cooper Union, Schneider worked as a development engineer for Celanese Corporation from 1951 to 1956, developing new processes for the production of plastic films. From 1956 to 1961 he participated as a chemical engineer at Argonne National Laboratory in nuclear fuel cycle research projects. In 1961, he returned to industry as Manager of Nuclear R&D for Martin Marietta, where he participated in the development of nuclear batteries for terrestrial and space applications and in the construction and operation of small nuclear power reactors for remote locations (Wyoming and Antarctica). Between 1964 and 1965, as Manager of Materials and Processes at NUS in Washington, DC he supervised the production in the U.S. of the core for the German AVR nuclear pebble bed reactor. In 1965, he joined Allied Chemical Corporation where he spent the next ten years developing the design and building the Barnwell nuclear fuel reprocessing plant. As Manager and then Director of Nuclear Technology he was responsible for the scientific and technical aspects of this large project. In 1975, Schneider embarked on an academic career: he was appointed Professor of Nuclear Engineering at the Georgia Institute of Technology (Georgia Tech) where he taught and conducted research in the nuclear fuel cycle area until his retirement in 1990. He continued to teach as a Visiting Professor of Nuclear Engineering and conducted research as a Research Affiliate at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) until 1996. Schneider was an advisor to the New York State Energy Research and Development Authority, the U.S. Secretary of Energy, and the Attorney General of Georgia and served as a consultant to Allied General Nuclear Services, Westinghouse, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, and others. He was a member of six committees of the National Academy of Sciences and an official U.S. participant at six symposia of the International Atomic Energy Agency. He was an active member of the American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE) and was elected Chairman of the Nuclear Engineering Division in 1979. He received the Antarctica Medal from the U.S. Navy and the Robert E. Wilson Award from AIChE.

Barbara Schwartz (ChE'75)

Bio: Barbara Schwartz (ChE'75) retired in 2009 from a 30 year career in healthcare with Johnson & Johnson. She now runs a consulting business, focused on leadership as it relates to obtaining personal and business results in times of transition and business turnaround. She is a Member of the Board of Trustees at Somerset Medical Center, and Past President/Board Secretary for the Women's Health & Counseling Center.After earning a PhD from Princeton University in 1979, she joined Ethicon, Inc. as a Research Scientist. She has held Board level positions at Ethicon and Ortho Clincial Diagnostics in R&D, New Business Development, Marketing, Quality, Regulatory and Compliance, and General Management. Early in her career, Schwartz developed several microsurgical suture materials, to be used in the fields of ophthalmology and neurology. After leaving R&D, she maintained an interest in the process of medical device invention, and went on to obtain a patent for woven mesh materials to be used in pelvic floor repair.As the Worldwide President of Gynecare, Schwartz led a group responsible for the introduction of several innovative products, as well as a novel advertising and public education campaign to help women deal with two significant quality of life conditions: excessive menstrual bleeding and incontinence. Under her direction, Gynecare grew in five years from a small US-based business unit to a several hundred million dollar global entity.Dr. Barbara Schwartz is a 2003 recipient of the Gano Dunn Award.

Joan Semmel (A'52)

Bio: Joan Semmel (A'52) received the 1984 President’s Citation. She is an artist whose self-image paintings from the 1970s have become iconic feminist works of art. Following her graduation from The Cooper Union, she lived in Spain for seven years and created abstract expressionist works. Upon returning to the United States and encountering the feminist movement, she began to paint the self-image nudes for which she became well known. In these paintings, she presented her body and lovers from her own vantage point, often including her body as viewer. She has exhibited her work nationally and internationally, including exhibitions at the MOCA in Los Angeles, National Museum of Scotland in Edinburgh, Wexner Institute in Cleveland, Ohio, Jack S. Blanton Museum in Austin, Texas, and the Museum voor Moderne in Arden, Netherlands. She has also exhibited work at the Museum of Modern Art in Barcelona, the Museum of Plastic Arts in Montevideo, Uruguay, the Chrysler Museum in Norfolk, Virginia, and the National Museum of Women in the Arts in Washington, D.C. More recently, Semmel’s work has reconsidered the female gaze from the perspective of her maturing body. She retired from teaching in 2000 and is Professor Emeritus at Mason Gross School of the Arts at Rutgers University, and was a member of Women in the Arts and the Women's Ad Hoc Committee. She continues to paint, exhibit and lecture.

Lee H. Skolnick (AR'79)

Bio: Lee H. Skolnick, FAIA (AR'79) is Founder, Principal of Lee H. Skolnick Architecture + Design Partnership.  He has served on advisory and grant evaluation panels for both the National Endowment for the Arts and the New York State Council on the Arts, among others.  Skolnick sits on the boards of various arts and design organizations, is Chairman of Architecture Omi, and serves on the Editorial Advisory Board of Exhibitionist magazine.  He is an Honorary Research Fellow at the University of Leicester in the UK, and is the author of scholarly papers and books, including What Is Exhibition Design?.  Skolnick has served as an adjunct faculty member at The Cooper Union, New York University and the Bank Street College of Education.  His design work has been widely published and has received many awards of excellence, including the "AD 100 Architects" by Architectural Digest and local, state and national AIA Honor Awards.
In addition to designing museums, exhibits and a wide range of other architectural projects, he has created numerous museum education programs, teaching kits, and curriculum materials for schools in New York and throughout the United States.  In bringing New York City's architectural and cultural heritage to its children, he has conducted symposiums, workshops and provided teacher training for some of New York City's top educational and cultural organizations.  Lee H. Skolnick Architecture + Design Partnership designed the new exhibition for The Cooper Union's Great Hall renovation.
Lee H. Skolnick received the 2006 President's Citation and the 2012 John Q. Hejduk Award.

Neal Slavin (A'63)

Bio: Neal Slavin (A'63) is a photographer and film director. In 1968, he received a Fulbright grant for photography, which enabled him to pursue the documentary series Portugal. Later he became known for the documentary series Britons and Americans. He established Slavin/Schaffner Films, which later became Carros Pictures, a television production studio. In 2001 his first film, Focus, was released by Paramount Classics. The story, based on a lesser-known work by Arthur Miller, explores prejudice during World War II. William H. Macy plays an everyday New Yorker who encounters anti-Semitism after being fitted for a new pair of glasses that make him appear Jewish. Neal Slavin received the 1988 Augustus Saint-Gaudens Award and the 2005 President's Citation.

Richard Stein (AR'37)

Bio: Richard G. Stein (AR'37) received the 1969 President's Citation. He was an architect whose ideas on energy conservation have been influential in building design. He attended New York University and received his master's degree from Harvard University, where he studied under and worked for Walter Gropius and Marcel Breuer. He served in the Army Corps of Engineers in World War II and, after the war, he returned to New York to continue his practice. He was a principal with the firm of Katz, Waisman, Blumenkranz, Stein, Weber from 1946 to 1960, and founded his own firm, the Stein Partnership, in 1961. His 1978 book, Architecture and Energy, identified solutions to the problem of wasted energy in the construction of buildings, including using natural materials and modifying building design to functionally integrate with site conditions. His projects include the Wyltwyck School for Boys in Yorktown Heights, New York, Sugarloaf Village in Kingfield, Maine, the Manhattan Children's Treatment Center on Wards Island in the East River, and several schools and other public facilities in New York. Stein served as chairman of the Croton Planning Board for two years, was a fellow of the American Institute of Architects (AIA) and served as the president of its New York chapter in 1975 and 1976.

Stan VanDerBeek (A'56)

Bio: Stan VanDerBeek (A’56) received the 1972 President's Citation. A prolific experimental filmmaker and computer graphics pioneer, his work's invigorating clash of sounds and images, at once charming and startling, is at the convergence of art and technology. Painting and collage mingle with written word poems, live action-animated films, inter-media events, video experiments and computer graphics. He sought a universal means of communication, years before the phenomenon of the World Wide Web came into existence. His work includes the animation of Euclidean Illusion andCurious Phenomena, both made while an artist-in-residence at NASA in Houston. Additionally, he was one of the first artists-in-residence at the Center for Advanced Visual Studies at MIT. In 1966 at the New York Festival, he first presented his “Movie-Drome,” consisting of a continual sequence of multiple projections on a dome over the audience. His work has been recognized at numerous international film festivals and is in the collections of the MoMA and the Centre Pompidou. VanDerBeek taught at Columbia University, the University of Southern California, the University of Washington and the University of Hawaii. He served as the chairman of the Department of Visual Arts at the University of Maryland, Baltimore County, from 1975 until his death in 1984.

Marie Wieck (Eng'82)

Bio: Marie Wieck (Eng'82) received the 2004 President's Citation. She is General Manager of IBM's Software Division responsible for worldwide operations of the WebSphere Portfolio of products. Her career at IBM began when she was a junior at The Cooper Union, and she has been there for over twenty five years. She earned an MBA from New York University and a master’s in computer science from Columbia University. Wieck was influential at one of the critical moments in IBM history during the early development of IBM's Internet and e-business software. She beta-tested some of IBM’s groundbreaking new products and provided technical assistance to IBM CFO Jerry York. She was instrumental in working out the industry wide protocols and technical standards of the 1990s, including Extensible Markup Language (XML). Marie Wieck is widely recognized for her leadership and role model presence in women’s activities and in corporate work-life initiatives. She co-chairs IBM’s Work Life Integration Council, driving such initiatives as flex hours and job-sharing throughout the company. In September of 2010, she was named General Manager of Application Integration Software, a worldwide management role responsible for the WebSphere portfolio of software.


Albert Greenberg (A '48)

Bio: Albert Greenberg, Art 1948, is an art director, advertising executive, and educator. He has been recognized by the Type Directors Club, AIGA, Graphis, and the Society of Illustrators in addition to receiving gold medal and distinctive merit awards from the Art Directors Club of New York. He was art director of GQ for 13 years and changed the look of the men’s fashion magazine to include exciting visual art. He then became vice president of Wells Rich Greene advertising, where his work included the design of the first New York State lottery ticket and the branding of Chex Party Mix.

Al Greenberg was one of GQ’s most inspirational art directors. In one year he collected more awards from the Art Directors Club of NY than any other magazine designer in the world. In addition to his gold medal and distinctive merit awards from the Art Directors Club he has been recognized by the Type Directors Club, AIGA, Graphis and the Society of Illustrators. He was the original art director of GQ and changed the look of men's fashion from stiff formal photos to exciting visual art. After 13 years, he joined one of the country's leading advertising agencies as vice president at Well Rich Greene.

Al is an outstanding alumnus who has received the Cooper Union Presidential Citation and the Alumnus of the Year Award. He was an early Art Director for At Cooper Union magazine. He chaired the Nominating Committee, was a member of the Saint Gaudens Committee, served as President of the Cooper Union Alumni Association and was an Alumni Trustee for three years.








©2011 The Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art